RIDING DIRT BIKES ON ROUGH TRAILS IN THE MOUNTAINS IS NOT 100% RISK FREE. IF YOU ARE UNLUCKY, YOU COULD BE KILLED OR MAIMED. IF YOU HAVE DEPENDANTS, YOU MUST have PROVISION FOR THEM IN THE UNFORTUNATE EVENT OF A BAD CRASH THAT PERMANENTLY DISABLES YOU. This event has no umbrella insurance that is covering you or your family.
Watch these two YouTube films about the event:
First: Explanation of Twinshock Trailfinder
Second: This is how you prepare for Twinshock Trailfinder
21/22 July 2016 – remember, you must ‘report’ by 2000hrs on the 20th July
Oliana, Catalunya, Spain
2, 3 or 4 riders only – no solo.
Special offer! £200 per rider until midnight on New Year's Eve 2015. This includes one map and checkpoint booklet per team. Does not include food and accomodation. Please note - after 1st Jan 2016 the entry fee will be £250.
Here's how it works at the TSTF: We block book an entire venue. We encourage everyone to stay there. However, if you prefer to go elswhere then be our guest but you will have to organise this yourself. Your entry fee does NOT include your accommodation, you pay for that yourself when you are in Spain. All we do is ensure that we've got the place booked for our party. This year, because we are in a super friendly hotel there is no accom deposit to pay.
The 2016 accom is the Hotel Cal Petit in the small town of Oliana, 25 miles south of Andorra. It is the coolest venue that we ever use (with bike-friendly website to boot!) but in the most beautiful location. It is reasonable and it's worth every penny. It has about forty rooms and a divine terrace looking out across the valley. We will charge everyone a flat fee for the venue.
This will include half-board and will be the same wether you are in a twin, double or triple room. Every human on site pays the same regardless of wether they are a competitor or simply a camp follower. Your hotel cost includes supper on the 20th and breakfast on the 23rd. Figures are still being discussed but it will be a fair price so don't sweat it. Exact prices TBC.
If you don't want to hotel it with us that is a great shame but there is a campsite on the north side of town.
ICC 1:50,000 sheet #4 - Alt Urgell, buy extras from STANFORDS if you so desire.
Low key and lo-fi. If you want to pop wheelies and show off your super noisy after-market exhaust then please do NOT attend the TSTF. Moto-cross space man clothes hugely discouraged. Wear armour yes, but underneath your crocheted poncho.
Urge to Win
Zero, this is not a competition. There is no prize save the joy of taking part. If you are a super-competitive alpha-male then do an enduro, the TSTF is not for you.
There isn’t any. Ensure you have your own and that it covers you for an off-road event of this kind. This event is NOT licensed by the ACU or any other statutory m/cycle body. Remember- there is no ‘course’. YOU will decide where you go and how fast. The National Park speed limit on all trails is 12 mph. If you want to ride fast then this event is not for you.
NB up to six weeks before the event you can pull out and get a full refund less £30. Thereafter, any cancellations are not refunded. If we cancel, you get a 100% refund of your entry fee.
Rules of the event:
- You must ride in a team of 2, 3 or 4 people, (minimum two bikes) so be sure to put together your team before registering as we need the names of all team members. If you cannot find someone to team with, go ahead and register for the event, note that you do not have a team partner, and we will match you with someone with a similar bike and riding skill level as best we can.
- No GPS allowed! Use your brain to navigate!
- Start / Finish Time: Each day, 8AM to 8PM (0800-1959). Official TSTF time is as per Austin’s mobile phone.
- Penalties for late return:
- Return at 2000-2009hrs 10 pts penalty
- Return at 2010-2019hrs 20 pts penalty
- Return at 2020-2029hrs 30 pts penalty
- Return at 2030 hrs or later – disqualified from the event (however you may still ride day two but your CPB will not be ‘marked’).
The Dai Jones Ruling:
A dispensation consistent with the ancient English traditions of clemency and mercy. Named in honour of Bristol’s legendary trail-riding child-reforming youth worker;
If the last member of a team gets back late on day one by y minutes where y is 29 or less then naturally, they incur a penalty. However, the Dai Jones ruling states that if they curtail their second day’s riding by y minutes or more then their penalty is revoked. Hence, the team will still only have had a max of 24 hrs riding over the two days.
- Team mates must ride together at all times! If you separate for any reason other than one bike is broken down and stopped or one rider is injured, and the other rider is going for help, you will be disqualified.
- Obtaining checkpoint info from another team is grounds for disqualification. In the event of a dispute or challenge, a digital photo of all team members at a checkpoint will be required to verify the team has been to the checkpoint.
- The score sheets are collected after each day's ride, and the scores of points collected thus far are published. On the second evening the booklets are collected for the final time, points totalled and the winners announced and applauded at the Dinner on the second night.
All the metal plaques are hand forged by Griff Rhys-Jones
Good map-readers make better lovers
Twinshock owners make better lovers
Buying parts from Wemoto makes you a better lover
Map pic – Yes my child, one day this will be yours...